مساعد ضابط أمن ميداني Assistant Field Security Officer | مفوضية شؤون اللاجئين UNHCR
|مساعد ضابط أمن ميداني Assistant Field Security Officer | مفوضية شؤون اللاجئين UNHCR
Assistant Field Security Officer(N)
time typeFull time
posted onPosted 6 Days Ago
job requisition idJR2332047
Hardship LevelE (most hardship)
Family TypeNon Family with Residential Location
Family TypeNon Family with Residential LocationDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable)
Nairobi (CO), Kenya
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
National Professional Officer
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
December 17, 2023
Standard Job Description
Assistant Field Security Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Field Security Officer manages and provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security.
The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer who defines specific work objectives. The incumbent is required to have basic conceptual knowledge of the profession, by being dynamic and able to take on higher responsibilities progressively. The incumbent may provide input to the supervision of general service staff in the office.
The duty of the incumbent is to support and guide in all security related aspects of the operation.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Advise and support the Representative or Head of Office in managing staff safety and security of UNHCR personnel , partners, operations, premises
- Undertake periodic security assessments in close cooperation with UNHCR senior staff members, UNDSS and interagency partners drafting the required security risk management assessment reports and using key tools for same.
- Evaluate existing security measures to determine their appropriateness and identify areas needing improvement. Follow up with actions to oversee or implement those improvements.
- Advise on and assist in ensuring compliance with standard established through the Security Risk Management process.
- Assist and develop plans for evacuation/relocation medical evacuation and other security contingencies.
- In cooperation with UNHCR senior staff members, assist in ensuring that security measures are fully integrated into operational planning, including budgetary provisions, at the earliest stages of development.
- Participate in programme related discussions to advise on security risk levels in line with programme criticality.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- As a member of a multi-functional team, contribute to efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Maintain relationships with security-related actors, including host government law enforcement authorities and partner agencies.
- Maintain cooperation with staff of the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS).
- Cooperate in security assessments and planning and supporting interagency processes.
- Support UNHCR staff serving as members of the country Security Management Team (SMT), or Area Security Management Team (ASMT), Area Security Coordinators (ASC) and Wardens.
- Provide country-relevant security advice and training to UNHCR staff, and where appropriate, to staff of NGOs and implementing partners in areas including, inter alia, preparation for and conduct of road missions, radio telecommunications, immediate actions upon detection of explosive devices or other dangers, hostage survival and other critical incidents.
- Conduct rehearsals and practical exercises to ensure that staff are familiar with security contingency plans and can implement them confidently in an emergency.
- Prepare periodic reports on security in accordance with UN and UNHCR standard operating procedures, sharing with managers in the country of assignment and, as appropriate, regional security coordinators, FSS.
- Maintain linkages with the Staff Welfare Section, and the Medical Service, referring cases as required in consultation with staff member¿s supervisor.
- Provide security-related advice, in written and oral form, to the manager and other staff.
- Advise on, and upon approval, implement, needed mitigating measures.
- Participate in criticality assessments.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Military or Police Academy or other relevant field
Certificates and/or Licenses
Security Management, Security Risk Management, Security and Safety certification
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Military or police experience.
Relevant training (first aid)
Examples of having established networks with Host Government or other security actors from previous employment.
CO-Drafting and Documentation
MD-First Aid Training
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile The Assistant Field Security Officer is a senior level position in the Sub Office Kadugli and reports to the Head of Office. The incumbent’s day-to-day tasks will include ensuring compliance with relevant Policies, Rules, Procedures and Guidelines under the overall direction of Head of Sub Office. As the most senior security staff within the sub office, the Assistant Field Security Officer may be delegated to supervise the Security staff in other Field Offices. Therefore, having demonstrated supervisory experience would be an asset.
Given that the Head of Sub Office is entrusted to take decisions necessary to safeguard lives and assets, the incumbent should be able to stay abreast of developments in the area of responsibility in order to report serious incidents, potential risks and other critical security information.
While based in Kadugli, the position oversees the security staff and security matters across the Kordofan region (Kadugli, Abu Jubeyha (Eastern), El Obeid (North), El Fula (West). The functions implied in the position are very critical and challenging given the current unpredictable and security context, therefore, the incumbent of this position should demonstrate good judgement, good knowledge of the operational context as well as an analytical capacity to be able to assist in identifying in the most effective ways, risks and issues pertaining to the safety and security of staff and the organization’s assets. S/he is also expected to be a team player.
Additional to the above, the below requirement are desirable on the candidate's profile:
1. Experience in the security sector such as police, and military.
2. Completion of UN/UNHCR security training particularly mandatory security trainings including SSAFE, in addition to other specialized security trainings of the UN system will be an advantage.
3. Understanding and knowledge of the operational context in Kordofan region is must and be able to undertake field visits for security assessments and recommendations.
4. Managerial experience, preferably work experience involving a role in the supervision of security staff. The incumbent will also be the focal person for management of security company that provides security services to all offices in the Kordofan.
5. The incumbent represents the office at various coordination fora’s and therefore, previous demonstrated experience is desirable.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test, and will be based on passing scores, followed by oral interview.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
Nature of Position:
Living and Working Conditions:
SkillsCO-Drafting and Documentation, IT-Computer Literacy, MD-First Aid Training
EducationBachelor of Arts (BA): Security Management
CertificationsSafety and Security - Other, Security Management Learning Program - Other, Security Risk Management - Other
CompetenciesAccountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Managing resource, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration
Additional InformationFemale candidate are encouraged to apply.